Many people often ask me about how long it takes to lease an Indianapolis rental property and what needs to be done before it can go on the rental market. There are a few things you can do to ensure you rent your house fast:
- Prepare it correctly: First, prepare the property the right way. Walk through it and make sure it is clean. Take care of any repairs and maintenance that are needed. For example, if you notice the kitchen sink is dripping, fix it. The tenant will not like moving into a place with a dripping sink, and it will be an issue when people come to see the house.
- Landscaping: Make sure the landscaping is in good shape. Take a look at the land and the yard, and make sure it looks neat, clean and appealing. The way the house presents is important because first impressions matter. You don’t want someone to decide against renting your house because of how it looks. Take the time to clean it up, make the necessary repairs and update the landscaping. If tenants are visually turned off by a property, they will move to a different one.
- Price it Right: Price the property correctly. Some property owners might understand when I tell them a good price for their property is $1,000 per month, but they might want to start a little higher, at about $1050 or $1075. The mistake there is that the people looking at the house will know it’s overpriced. They are visiting other properties, so they will pass on your house and rent a similar one that is appropriately priced. Pricing your house too high will cost you money. A vacancy is far more expensive than a $50 price reduction. One of the best ways to lease your house quickly is to go on the market with the right price.
- Be Responsive: Always answer your phone. When you are marketing and advertising your property for rent, you have got to be available to take phone calls and set appointments. A lot of qualified people might just move on to other properties if you do not answer your phone. It is important to be accessible.
- Show It!: You also have to be prepared to show the property. This becomes a problem for some people with difficult schedules. You will have potential tenants wanting to see the place in the evenings, on the weekends and sometimes in the middle of the day or the early morning. Your schedule has to be somewhat flexible so you can get people into your house to look at it. Just like missing a phone call, if you aren’t there to show your house, you cannot expect to rent it quickly.
When you are able to do these things, you will find you can rent your house quickly. If you keep it looking clean and presentable, you make sure you’re available and you price it correctly, you should be able to get that place leased in 30 days or less. If you have any questions, or need help getting your property on the market and rented, please contact us at T&H Realty.